The One I've been Waiting For

To The One I’ve been waiting for:

You are the love of my life and I can’t wait to meet you. I wonder if you think about finding me as often as I dream of finding you. I want to tell you about everything you missed in my life and I also want to hear all your stories. I love stories. I want to know you, hear your voice and hold your hand. I want you to finally be in my life. I want it to become real and I want everything to finally make sense. I constantly find myself looking for you. I look for you in the park, at the grocery store, across the bar and when I pull up to stop lights. I am then reminded that I will find you when I’m not looking. So I pretend to stop looking.

A year ago I met the most amazing and perfect guy. I literally ran home and told my sisters I had met the guy I was going to marry. He made promises that were not kept, the timing was off, and our worlds were pulling us in different directions. I was the wandering humanitarian. He was on the path to Wall Street. The life I had pictured for us no longer existed. Maybe it never did. It ended just as fast as it started. I was devastated. The possibility of us not being together was never an option I considered. Shortly after I became involved with someone who brought me back to life. Our lives overlapped and we found each other when we were both searching for something more. He showed me his world and instantly I knew I deserved more. He touched me in a way I know you will also touch me. I don’t know if he realized how much he helped me but he brought me to my own attention and left me standing. He loved so deeply (although not me) and he made me see that the kind of love I wanted did exist. I am 25 years old and I am finally ready to have you in my life. Because of this I know I am closer to finding you.

I have had so many of my married and engaged friends tell me, “you just know”. Well, I’ll be honest and let you know there were a few times when “I just knew”. Apparently I don’t have the ability to just know when I’ve met “the one” because I’ve been wrong each of these few times. My past relationships have been so important to me because they enabled me to grow and change. I learned what I did not want in a relationship and I also discovered what I do want. I want you and so far you haven’t been the one next to me. I believe all my past relationships and experiences have prepared me for you. You are not my first love. I have been hopelessly and desperately in love before. I’ve been hurt. I’ve been broken. I’ve been left behind and forgotten. After each breakup I picked myself up used all my courage to try again and take that leap of faith. I was able to do this knowing that you were out there. The past has enabled me to love fully and deeply. I’m not afraid to fall in love. I need you to understand that I’ve been involved in some intense, beautiful, spontaneous and unrealistic relationships. I fit with each of my ex-boyfriends. You may not picture me with some of them but you have to understand they were apart of my life. We each fit together in different ways; some fits were better than others. I can’t wait to fit with you in a new way. A different way. A perfect way.

I’m not looking for perfection. I know our relationship will be beautiful but far from perfect. Perfection bores me. I know what we have will be real. I know there will be arguments, disagreements and hard times. Despite the obstacles we’ll encounter I know we’ll smile, laugh, dance and love together. If I am reading this to you then you have to know that I never doubted you were out there for me. I can’t wait to hug you, kiss you, hold you and love you. Although I don’t know you yet I can confidently say that I Love You.

Love,
Your future wife & best friend