To A man who's doubtlessly fantastic

To: A man who's doubtlessly fantastic
From: Chiara C. at age 16 [with permission]

Okay. So. Right now I'm in the most wonderful relationship of my life thusfar. (Future Husband, if you're worthy for this spot, you shouldn't feel jealous while reading this first part, but thrilled that I had a healthy adolescent love life that made me very happy.) This guy is beyond astounding. We're best friends: we laugh together, we cry together, we work together, we play together. He writes me pages upon pages of incredible things that very seldom could be expected come out of a sixteen year old boy's mind. And he's brilliant, too, by the way. I can securely say that I am very much in love with him. I bring him up not only to let you know where I am psychologically while writing this letter, but also because lately he and I've been talking about The Future.

"The Future" is a terrifying and beautiful place where one leaves home for the first time and become an Adult (or as close to it as they can get. I suppose that especially for frat boys college does not necessarily equal adulthood. But for two overacheiving, overthinking, over-eager for college---for the education, no less---high school juniors who are ONLY allowed to think about The Future, it is supposed to.) We've been obnoxiously pragmatic for some time now; I wouldn't let him compliment me or confess any feelings for me for the first month or so that we were together because I didn't want to get myself hooked on an empty promise or feeling. "I love you forever," was always stitched to " 'forever' meaning, until, like, we're older or whatever." But lately it's getting harder and harder to add on the suffix statement. I think I will love him forever; if not forever as a significant other, than forever as one of the best friends I've ever had. And since it's gotten this way, The Future has been discussed. We both realize that it's doubtful that we'll be able to stay together during college (my dream school is on the East Coast, and even if I don't get in, we only overlap in two other choices), but we don't want that knowledge hanging over our heads RIGHT NOW while we're still happily together. We have something unspeakably special; I--- or whoever he ends up marrying--- would be infinitely lucky to be able to love and be loved by him. And whoever I end up with will be lucky too. But I want you, Future Husband, to know exactly how happy I am right now (and to be happy for me!). And I want to be able to remember how happy and how vehemently loved I am. And my boyfriend wants you to know too, and he wants you to know what's expected of you:

"Dear Chiara,

I know that we would both love to live together. So it better happen! But this is what I hope you have.

You deserve....
-You deserve someone who treats you like a prize of life, which is what you are. You are a prize of life, something that is worth getting up every day to see, and be with.
-You deserve someone who works hard and tries to better himself to try to reach your level.
-You deserve someone who is always trying to impress you, and keep you coming back for more, and never just leave you on the edge.
-You deserve someone you can disagree with, and not be afraid to. Someone you can have a fight with, but still make up with, and still be happy,
-You deserve someone who respects you.
-You deserve someone who loves you for exactly who you are, and nothing else. Every nook and cranny, every imperfection, ever perfection, and every part of you that makes you the best person ever.
-You deserve someone who can provide for the need you have in life.
-You deserve someone who is nice to your family.
-You deserve someone that will not force anything onto you or make you uncomfortable to the point that you can't stand it.
-You deserve someone whom you can learn things from.
-You deserve someone who you can teach things to.
-You deserve someone who physically loves you the way you want to, and loves every moment of it.
-You deserve someone whom you can have an intelligent conversation with about "testy" topics.
-You deserve someone that you can do the things you want to do with
-You deserve someone that can travel the world with you.
-You deserve someone who can raise children with you.
-You deserve someone who will always renew his love for you, and keep it strong.
-You deserve someone that can criticize you, and it will be okay.
-You deserve someone who has a shoulder you can lean on, arms you can run to, and a chest you can cry on.
-You deserve someone that will appreciate you and all your uniqueness.
-You deserve someone that will love you, because you are a prize of life.
-And if you don't have it, call me up.
-In a perfect world, I would be with you for the rest of my life. Hopefully this world is perfect. I want it to be perfect."

And I'm not telling you this, Future Husband, to put pressure on you or to say that you're not doing those things. I'm telling you so that you know that you ARE doing those things and MORE; that this is why I married you and why I love you so infinitely.

And if by some slight chance by the shaky hand of Fate I'm still with the boy who wrote the above, married and happy and living in the apartment we spoke about with the one room full of just books, making both quesadillas and love (though preferably not at the same time) in our little kitchen that I'll always keep full of fresh flowers, I want you to know that I'm glad that we made it.

Then again, if we didn't, I know that we'll both be satisfied knowing that one another is completely and truly happy. Because that's really what love is about, right?

Bursting at the seams with love,
Chiara